Learning to RP banter with skill and style. (Movies for reference.)

More
13 May 2017 17:20 #18449 by Comstrike
Comstrike created the topic: Learning to RP banter with skill and style. (Movies for reference.)
I like to free-style RP personally, usually with a style and trying to keep things grounded in which ever game world I am in.

By style I mean that I speak in a way that fits the "time" of the game. LOTRO for example is usually RP'ed in an old-english or middle-ages style. There are ways, even not knowing much about RP, where you can plug into people talking and look good doing it, just by how you structure you phrases. And likewise if you can learn how banter in a style it also adds to the fun and quality for yourself an others.

There are a few movies I like to watch or have in-mind when I'm actually actively RP'ing. The first is film version of Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead (embedded below.) It follows two minor characters in Shakespear's Hamlet, where the two of them seem half aware they are somehow in a play or that reality around them isn't what it seems. This, while the story of Hamlet injects itself into their adventure along the way. The play and movie are simply wonderful and the copy below isn't the best. However it is the way Tim Roth and Gary Oldman's characters speak back and forth. Likewise a lot of Richard Dreyfuss' lines and such are great. I model some of Benjimir after Dreyfuss' character with the other two.

Highlights: 13:44, 22:13 (especially the classic way Shakespears actual lines flow, pure RP gold if you can learn how to speak in real-time that way.) 31:31 (Play at Questions, a game that would be fun onto itself in-game.)

Other films of note:

Roxxane, the Steve Martin version of Cyrano de Bergerac .

The original Cyrano de Bergerac (1950)

Pulp Fiction (duh.)

Benjimir of Belfalas"The Shades, Angmarim, Drakes, Orcs, Brigands, Ruffians, Hillman, Oathbrakers - they all adore him. They think he is a righteous dude."
Founder, The Sons of Numenor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 May 2017 15:12 #18452 by Dalerien
Dalerien replied the topic: Learning to RP banter with skill and style. (Movies for reference.)
HAHAA... now I have to watch these !

Dale

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Comstrike
Time to create page: 0.338 seconds